The Working Group on Soil Systematics of the German Soil Science Society is commissioned with the further development of the German Soil Classification. The classification is based on two systems:
- soil genetics
- grouping of soil forming parent material
An additional mission is to interact the results with soil scientists, geoscientific education, geoscientific authorities and the public.
The Working Group on Soil Systematics determinates:
- definitions and structuring of soil horizons
- definitions and structuring of pedogenetic soil types
- definitions and structuring of soil forming parent materials
- definitions and structuring of soil associations
We compare ther German classification with international classifications.
If you have any questions on our classification – we will be happy to give advice.
Outreach / public relations
We are publishing our results in several scientific journals, Bodenkundliche Kartieranleitung, 5. Auflage 2005) (German Guidelines for Soil Description and Soil Mapping, fifth edition 2005) and via internet (www.bodensystematik.de).
A complete catalogue of soil types and subtypes (German classification) can be downloaded.
A special chart combines all subtypes with different qualifiers (classified varieties).